Sunday, February 27, 2011

Finding A Little Peace

Internet connections near where I'm staying are a little spotty, so no picture uploads until I head into town.  It's nice here in Rishikesh, really nice.  I'm staying at a place called Mama's and it has a great, relaxed vibe.  The thali (a kind of set meal) is delicious and the people are good conversation.  Mama herself is a bit of a character and insists on calling everyone "son" or "daughter".  At 200 rupees a night (under $5) for a nice double with hot water it's a great value too. 

So I'll be here for a little while.  I've already spent about 5 days here and will spend at least another week.  There are tons of mountain trails leading to views and waterfalls, the Ganges is (relatively) clean and beautiful and where I'm staying above the town it's amazingly peaceful.  I also need to wait for higher altitudes to warm up a bit, as a Florida boy I'm not too prepared for a Himalayan winter.

So that's where my trip stands right now.  I have a feeling that the Himalayas will be my favorite part of India.  They're much more chilled out and scenic.  Then again, I imagine anything is more chilled out and scenic than your average Indian city.

No comments:

Post a Comment